How To Set Up An Independent Study

    • Identify a faculty mentor

      Browse the faculty listings for the Department of Cell Biology and the Cell and Molecular Biology Program, then contact potential faculty sponsors and meet with them to discuss possible projects. If you need help identifying a faculty sponsor, contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies, Dr. Sharyn Endow (email, office hours: 12:30-2pm MWF and 5-6pm MTW).

      • Define a research project

      With guidance by your faculty sponsor, you should write a brief paragraph describing in your own words a research project that can be completed in one or two semesters, including your role in the project. The hours per week that you would spend on the project should be specified (usually 10 to 12 weekly hours of lab work and 1 to 2 hours of reading/discussion). Any time commitments and other expectations for the project should be discussed with your faculty mentor.

      • Obtain permission to enroll in Independent Study

      Download the application to begin an independent study in Cell Biology. Take the completed form to Dr. Sharyn Endow, Director of Undergraduate Studies, in room 448 Sands for her signature. With the completed form, she will provide a section and permission number to enroll in Independent Study, so you can receive a grade and credit for the course. To receive a University writing credit for Cell Bio 493, please click here. To apply for Graduation with Distinction in Biology for your research in the Department of Cell Biology, click here.